Sunday, October 21, 2012

Welcome to God in the Inland Empire


Last year I set myself the task of seeking a house of worship in the heart of Hollywood. As part of the process, I wrote and reviewed each church I attended, just as a movie critic might analyze a film. I now find myself in the Inland Empire, and I am again in need of a new home base for Sunday services.

I am admittedly particular about what I feel makes a church worth attending. Those of you looking for the modern approach to any aspect of faith, from new versions of the Bible to modern rock in a sanctuary, you'd probably be better served not reading what I write. I want a church that contains a diverse membership in terms of age and ethnicity. I want a pastor who will not talk down to me. I want to feel a sense of community, tradition, faith, and reverence. Above all else, I want to feel I am in God's house.

I am again embarking on a written exploration of my own faith, which a series of recent events has called me to reassess. I'll document not just each church I visit, but my own personal reaction to the sights and sounds. It is never my intention to offend others with my views, nor is it my intention to impose my views on others. I have in my head an ideal -- it is most likely not yours. That's alright; we don't have to agree. I'm sharing my thoughts to generate a more substantive discussion on faith-based issues than I see elsewhere. I welcome all respectful feedback (leave your hate speech elsewhere).

No comments:

Post a Comment