Sunday, December 2, 2012

Crossroads Christian Church (second visit)

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." That is probably the wrong phrase to have ping-ponging through my head as I write a review of a church, but somehow it seems oddly appropriate. I've spent previous weeks writing about my thoughts on baptism, tithing, megachurches, and nearly everything I'm about to go over again today. But I don't really have much of a choice. After my initial review of Crossroads, a friend whose opinion I respect suggested that a single visit to the church was insufficient. She made me pledge to revisit another time. Today was that time. Forgive any redundancy in what you're about to read, but I think you'll agree I have still managed to offer a fresh approach on things.

My initial plan was to focus entirely on the positive, but to do so would be unfair to the other churches I attend. I will, however, try to emphasize some positives right up front. First, the praise band did one Christmas song, and it sounded really good. One cannot help but wonder why, at the start of the Advent season, the praise band chose not to play more Christmas songs, because the one they played really seemed to energize the congregation.

In my previous visit, I was highly critical of the associate pastor nonchalantly referring to the sacrament of Holy Communion as "bread and juice." Today, however, he seemed to approach the subject more earnestly, and really seemed to encourage all in attendance to do the same. Whatever motivated him to do so, I commend him for doing it.

I chose to approach my Crossroads experience as I saw others behave in my prior visit. To do as the Romans do, so to speak. I didn't dress up, I brought my Vitamin Water inside with me, and I kept my iPhone ready to look up the myriad of Bible verses that were sure to come. Due to congestion on Ontario, I even arrived fashionably late; though that was unintentional on my part, that does seem to be accepted behavior. I sat towards the back, on an aisle, in the dimly lit auditorium. When it came time for the "passing of the peace," I warmly shook hands and greeted people. I smiled and nodded through the much improved Holy Communion blessing, and I passed the KFC bucket down the aisle when it came time for the offering. I admired the bits of the stage that had been wrapped with garland and red ribbon and lights. For the first 30 minutes or so, my friend who wanted me to return would have been proud of me. I rolled with it, accepting that while the style and structure was not to my liking, others seemed to take comfort in it.

It was announced that the focus of the sermons for the next several weeks would not be the New or Old Testaments, but on a book called "The Blessed Life" by writer Robert Morris, also the head of a megachurch. And while some would automatically jump to the conclusion that, because it is new and nontraditional, I would be against it, I'm actually fine with the concept of modern literature incorporated into Christianity. I'm critical that Christians seem to be mostly convinced that the last divinely inspired words were written 2,000 years ago. I've found some modern writers and thinkers whom I feel have been touched by God, inasmuch as they have enlightened and spiritual messages to offer those who choose to pay attention. I've not read "The Blessed Life," nor am I likely to do so, but my point is I wasn't against the idea of its insertion into the worship service. Only that wasn't really the focus of the sermon, but we'll get to that momentarily.

I just want to make it clear that I'm willing to concede that Crossroads as a whole might not be as bad as I initially made it out to be. Though the approach is clearly not to my individual tastes, to each his/her own. That much ought to please my friend who asked me to return. However, I'm going to be issuing a formal apology in the paragraph after next, and I'm also likely going to unintentionally annoy my friend who wanted me to experience Crossroads again and feel better about the place as I did so. I genuinely wish I could feel better about Crossroads, but one thing prevents me from doing so. To be more specific, one man prevents me from doing so.

There was no talk in the sermon about this being the first week of Advent. There was no talk of preparing hearts and minds for the coming of Jesus Christ. There was brief mention made of Mary as one who was immediately obedient when she heard God's voice. Chuck Booher then charged his congregation with the task of also being immediately obedient when they hear God speak to them. As someone who has waited my entire life to hear God speak to me, allow me to state that I stand ever at the ready. But, at the risk of sounding glib, God doesn't call me. He doesn't text. He doesn't burn bushes near me. He doesn't invite me to supper. He doesn't send the Angel Gabriel down for tea. If and when He does, I am fully prepared to do whatever He says. What I am not prepared to do, however, is just accept that Chuck Booher hears God regularly, that God tells him what to wear and where to eat dinner (two things he asserted in his sermon). I have faith in God; I do not have faith in Chuck Booher.

As you can tell, during the sermon, I found myself less able to roll with it. I found myself having to bite my tongue. I do not fault those who are members of Crossroads. I fault the man behind today's message. And though I have no authority upon which to do so, on behalf of all of Christendom, I feel compelled to apologize for Chuck Booher. That's bound to tick people off, though it is not my intention to tick people off. It is my intention to calls 'em as I sees 'em. Please allow me to explain.

I'm going to start with tithing. Booher himself admits he can't shut up about it, and to be frank it is insulting. And the way he treats the subject is insulting, and I am not easily insulted. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. As reported on the piece of paper handed to people as they walked in, last week Crossroads received just under $215,000 in offering. The previous week, they received just under $150,000. For those who are displeased with my harsh reaction to Chuck Booher, allow me to suggest to any member of Crossroads that they spend one month attending worship at any church in the area that collects less in an entire year than Crossroads collects in a single week. Visit any church, any denomination -- visit multiple churches, please. I encourage them to explore a church that isn't taking in that level of "tithing." I encourage them to explore a church that doesn't constantly make tithing the focus of sermons. For those who don't want to leave Crossroads, that's fine; allow me to suggest instead of tithing to Crossroads that they give to other nonprofit and charitable organizations. The long and short of what I want to make clear is a church does not need that level of money to serve in its capacity as a church. Assuming the previous two weeks are typical, Crossroads brings in $8 million annually, not counting revenue from the school, coffee bar, gift shop, book sales, and other sources of income. For Chuck Booher to keep hounding his congregation for money is borderline obscene.

Chuck Booher cited a single Bible verse, entirely out of context, as this week's rationalization for tithing. It was Luke 11:42, the full text of which is not about common men giving to the church. Read in context, it is about wealthy lawyers and holier-than-thou pharisees not giving their fair share to the community. Somehow, Chuck Booher perverted the meaning to be that Jesus was commanding everyone to give and give and give some more. In the sermons I have heard, Booher repeatedly rips passages out of context and distorts their meanings. Booher made a point of mocking those who don't tithe, stating only people who don't give complain to him about how much he mentions tithing. Well I give. Even in my current dire financial situation I give. I give to the homeless when I can. I give blood. I give my time to those in need. I offer prayers to those in pain. And I'm telling anyone who will listen that if people stopped giving money to Crossroads right now -- today -- it would be a better church. Booher made a point of stating people who tithe are going to receive a blessing, and those who do not are not. That isn't tithing; that's a plenary indulgence, and that's the kind of talk that made Martin Luther nail parchment to the door of his church 500 years ago. That's the kind of talk that led to the Protestant Reformation. Make no mistake about it, Chuck Booher is stating that giving money will get you more in the kingdom of God, a concept rejected by churches centuries ago.

And now I have to discuss baptism again, because while roughly half the sermon was devoted to tithing, the other half was devoted to the concept that baptism makes you a new and better person. I have to reveal my inner geek at this point and talk about "Star Trek V." For the geek-impaired, allow me to offer a brief summary of the story, which also serves as a sort of parable: A passionate Vulcan (half brother of Spock) named Sybok appears and tells people that he'll be able to instantly take their pain away and make them new, better, and happier people. When he approaches Captain Kirk, Kirk rejects Sybok's offer, knowing life doesn't really work that way. Kirk added he needed his pain, that it was a part of him, and that there were no quick fixes, despite how much we might want to believe otherwise. Later, Kirk asked what God needed with a starship, but that's a discussion for another day.

Today they had not one, not two, but three dunk tanks -- and an inflatable kiddie pool -- set up in front of the stage. I am not employing hyperbole. Chuck Booher wanted all those who were ready to accept Jesus to come on down and be baptized. Again, trying to roll with it, if this form of baptism is important to you, that is your choice. To me, what I was witnessing was people being baptized as members of Crossroads, not necessarily as Christians (not the fault of those who approached, by the way). And my reasons for believing as I do are Chuck Booher's own words. He pointed out that Jesus walked 60 miles through a desert to be baptized by the aptly named John the Baptist, and we, in turn, are baptized to recreate what Christ did. But Christ walked those 60 miles, did He not? He didn't merely walk down the aisle of a dimly lit auditorium. So why suggest that it is as massive an action when people only do half a thing? By Booher's own statement, we do as Christ did to honor Him, so wouldn't it be more appropriate for those who walked down the aisle to then be handed a compass and a pack of supplies and sent to walk -- not drive -- to Palm Springs to be baptized? If the baptism is so important, which I am not disputing, isn't the journey Christ took at least as important? In life, isn't the journey often more important than the destination? Granted, a 60 mile hike through San Bernadino would be a lengthy inconvenience, but where in the Bible are we promised quick fixes or easy solutions?

I've repeatedly mentioned the name Chuck Booher in this writing because I want it made clear that my problems with Crossroads all seem to stem from this man and what he deems important. A few years ago, Booher ordered Christians teaching at Crossroads to be fired if they were unwilling to be baptized through immersion. Around the same time, I was also fired from a purported Christian school because the way I chose to demonstrate my faith was deemed insufficient. I believe God can question my faith, but I am skeptical of any human who questions the faith of another.

Chuck Booher deems people lesser because they do not immerse themselves in water. Chuck Booher deems people lesser because they do not give to a church that is not in need. For a man who makes such bombastic assertions to lead a congregation makes me ashamed to be a Christian. And on behalf of Christians, I apologize, and I can only add that Booher's opinions do not reflect the management, if you catch my drift.

I've offered two very substantive problems I have with Chuck Booher. Let me close with two relatively minor cosmetic issues I have with Crossroads, both of which are easy to remedy. When I attended Crossroads just over a month ago, I noted with some sadness that the cross (the most sacred of Christian symbols) was not front-and-center, but just off to the side.
I note with some reservation that, since then, two additional screens have gone up, and the cross has been moved even further away from the center, to the far wall on the opposite side.
I cannot emphasize enough that everything I know to be true about Christianity tells me that Christ's crucifixion -- His dying for the sake of us and for the forgiveness of our sins -- was the single greatest act of love ever demonstrated by anyone. The cross is a reminder of that love, and a reminder that what He did far outweighs anything we can do. It is a big room -- move the cross to the center of it.

Lastly, a sign I noticed as I approached Crossroads, indicating the location of various buildings and services. I couldn't help but notice the absence of the word "church" or "sanctuary" among the listed items. To me, an auditorium is where concerts and staged productions occur, but worship services occur in a church or a sanctuary. It is fine if a single room serves both purposes, but it would be a sign of respect if God's house was identified as such on any signage on the property. Crossroads is a church -- tell visitors where the church is located.

And with that, I hope that my friend will accept that my issue is not with her or with any of the congregation of Crossroads, but with Chuck Booher. And I will do as I pledged and return to Crossroads... as soon as Booher has been removed as head of the congregation, or as soon as he publicly retracts the assertions he made that belittle others and question the faith of others. Such assertions are unChristian.

Amen.

______________________________________________________

Sunday Scorecard:

What is the contact info for the church?

Crossroads Christian Church
2331 Kellogg Avenue
Corona, CA 92881
951/737-4664
http://www.crossroadschurch.com

What was the denomination?

Non denominational

What Bible verses were referenced?

"The Blessed Life" by Robert Morris

What are the demographics of the congregation?

A good mix of ages, mostly young, less diverse ethnically

Was the atmosphere formal or casual?

A Starbucks is more formal... no alter, no candles, no vestments, casual dress by all involved

What was the music like?

Praise band, power ballad, 'nuf said

How was the use of PowerPoint?

Not exactly PowerPoint, but three big screens were above the stage (the cross was relegated to the far side) and the pastor was projected onto the screens.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I noticed it's been a few years since you wrote this article and I was wondering if you've had a chance to go back and reconsider your words. I'm not a Chuck Booher fan and have never been to his church. I ran across your article when I was looking up something about Robert Morris (a pastor in my hometown, but not my church).

    Upon just a cursory review I'd agree with you that church and you weren't a good mix but you seem unfairly critical and completely unjust in your accusations. It seems to me you were having very personal issues that you took out unfairly on undeserving parties.

    BTW, it's not your business how much money a church makes or what they do with it. It is God's business to judge what we give and what the church does with it. So what if they make 8 million? Perhaps they use every bit of that for Godly purpose and if they don't, it's not your problem. But to suggest people not give to their church is a horrible thing and I'd be careful. Also to suggest giving blood or prayers equates to our first fruits of what is already God's provision for us is pretty awful.

    The deal about walking 60 miles is a bit pharisitical. You are adding all these needless rules and judgements. Your heart is in the right place I'm sure but it's just making you miserable it would appear.

    Anyway, I'm not harping on you. My heart actually goes out to you when I read all this. It sounds like other was written at a time that was pretty miserable for you and you were hurting.

    BTW, I'm thinking God does talk to you all the time but you just don't recognize it. Your expectations of how might be unrealistic. But having personally the experience of yes God even telling me where to go to dinner, don't belittle it, please.

    So, just wondering if things got better or not... I said a prayer for you either way. Life with Jesus shoukd really not be so miserable Kevin. It's okay to lighten up and be joyful.

    ReplyDelete